This and that: Crazy Ingredient Challenge ~ Strawberries and Mustard

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Crazy Ingredient Challenge ~ Strawberries and Mustard



Have you ever made something and it just didn't turn out the way you wanted it too?  That is what happened when I made my recipe for this month's Crazy Ingredient Challenge.


Each month I have been doing this Crazy Ingredient Challenge.   I did miss last month as the ingredient was Peanut Butter and I try to stay away from it... I thought it was better just to skip last month.  This month's challenge was strawberry and mustard.   My idea was to make a marinate with the strawberries and mustard which I thought turned out wonderfully and use it for some kind of meat.  I decided to use it on Pork Chop... Wrong decision.  I think I should have used chicken.

The pork chops were ok but just didn't have the pizzazz that I wanted.  So the next day I decided to put the pork chops into a quesadilla with the marinate sauce and this turned out wonderfully.  At least I thought so, hubby didn't have any as he was at school.  The quesadilla just had the right amount of zing to them.

Pork Chop Marinaded with Roasted Strawberry Mustard Sauce Quesadilla


Marinate
Ingredients:
1 cup Strawberries
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tbps dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
1 garlic clove minced
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Directions:
Preheat oven to 425.  Place halved strawberries on baking sheet and bake for 15 -20 minutes until tender.  Let cool slightly. In blender place strawberries and rest of ingredients, blend until smooth.

Marinated Pork Chops 
4 pork chops
1/4 cup of Strawberry Marinate

Directions:
Cover pork chops with marinate and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees.



Quesadillas (for one)
Ingredients:
1 tortilla wrap (I used garden spinach herb)
1 pork chop sliced thinly
small amount of onions thinly sliced
small amount of  sweet peppers thinly sliced
grated cheese (I used fiesta cheese) 
1 tsp of marinate plus extra to dip
1 tbsp of sour cream

Directions:
Half tortilla wrap.
Place thinly sliced pork chop on one half.
Spread marinate over pork chop.
Cover with onions, peppers and cheese
Fold tortilla in half.
Place on hot griddle and cook until cheese is slightly melted, flip to cook other side.
Serve with small amount of sour cream and marinate.


I thought the Quesadilla tasted much better then the plain pork chop did.
In December our challenge was Garlic and White Chocolate and I made Holiday Mix and in November the challenge was Gingerbread Spice and Onions and I made Seared Gingerbread Tenderloin with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms .


If you would like to join us on these Crazy Ingredient Challenges click on the box below.  They make you think outside of the box and it is lots of fun.  The Challenge is done on the 20th of each month.

Enhanced by Zemanta

6 comments :

  1. Looks delicious! Great way of using this month's ingredients. I kind of liked them together!
    Jenni @Jenni's Ferris Wheel of Food

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm those quesadillas sound wonderful. That is a great pork marinade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm saddened that it didn't work with the pork. I wonder what it was missing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that ended up with a different recipe than I was planning. Your's sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You hit it out of the park! I have to make this. Great creation in this months challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a unique idea, Marlys. I would never have tried quesadillas with strawberries but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.