This and that: Decorate with Crochet Thread Trees

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Decorate with Crochet Thread Trees

I came across a video to make these trees on Facebook and thought that they would be awesome to make for our Staff Christmas Party and also use in my own decorating.  They looked easy to do, which they were but not so easy to get off the cone forms.

Decorate your mantle of table with trees made from crochet thread.  Add battery lights from the Dollar tree to make more festive.


Crochet Thread Trees

Materials:
Crochet Thread
Styrofoam Cones (I used 2 sizes)
Plastic Wrap
Glue and Water (I used Mod Podge)
Glitter - optional

Decorate your mantle of table with trees made from crochet thread.  Add battery lights from the Dollar tree to make more festive.


The process to make these trees was very simple.  I covered the styrofoam cones with plastic wrap.  I did tape the plastic wrap.  Once the plastic wrap was on the cone, I covered the cone with the crochet thread both vertically and horizontal, taping the beginning of the string on the bottom of the cone.  I did also bring the thread down around the bottom of the cone as you can see in the picture above.  Do not cover the cone completely.  I found that it was best to end with horizontal pattern and not vertical pattern.  Tape the end of the string to the bottom of the cone.

In a bowl or as I used a low height plastic throw away dish, add glue and water.  I used a 2:1 ratio of glue to water and stir to combine.  Using a foam brush or paint brush cover the entire thread covered cone with the glue/water mixture, except the bottom.  At this point you can sprinkle glitter over the thread.  Let dry.

Once the glue is dry this started the hardest part of making these trees.  I tried many different ways to get the tree off the cone.  In all cases, I did cut the bottom threads off.  The first few trees I made I used the end of the paint brush and pushed it up between the thread and the cone.  By the end of the trees I made, I realized if I squeezed the cone, the plastic wrap came from the cone and then I could remove the plastic wrap from the thread tree.  Trim the bottom of the tree as needed.

Decorate your mantle of table with trees made from crochet thread.  Add battery lights from the Dollar tree to make more festive.
Tree used in a centerpiece


I used the trees in a table center piece and also on my mantle. In both cases I bought some battery lights from the Dollar Tree (both sting lights and tea lights) and placed the lights in the center of the tree.


Decorate your mantle of table with trees made from crochet thread.  Add battery lights from the Dollar tree to make more festive.
Uses for the Crochet Thread Trees


Crafter Note:  I did find that the cream coloured thread was stiffer than the red and multicoloured thread I used.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Linked up to these AWESOME PARTIES:   DIY Crush Craft Party

3 comments :

  1. What a great idea! Your trees turned out really pretty. I like how you added the lights inside. Nice job! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very lovely!! I love working with yarn! Thank you so much for sharing at my craft party!! Hope you'll stop by again on Thursdays at 7pm EST.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute! I am not a crafty person, but I like these so much, I just might attempt this.

    ReplyDelete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.