This and that: Banana Onion Beignets {CIC}

Monday, February 20, 2017

Banana Onion Beignets {CIC}

Crazy Ingredient Challenge Recipe with banana and onions that gives you a little sweet and savory in each bite.


Beignet don't have to be sweet do they? I used them in my Crazy Ingredient Challenge with ripe Bananas and Onions and they were awesome with a spicy sauce. Sweet and savory in each bite.








Banana Onion Beignets

I have missed the last couple of Crazy Ingredient Challenges.  Last month I made a bread recipe, and even though it tasted good, the bread just didn't rise so I had to abort my mission.  So this month I wanted to make sure my recipe would work.

This month's challenge ingredients are ripe bananas and onions.  As I use plantains in may different recipes, both savory and sweet I decided that I would just substitute ripe bananas for ripe plantains.  I also had some spicy tomato salmon sauce that we made to eat with fried yams and the recipe worked out perfect.  I will be posting the sauce recipe for the Ultimate Recipe Challenge in the early part of March - I have two challenges in one... WIN WIN!

Crazy Ingredient Challenge Recipe with banana and onions that gives you a little sweet and savory in each bite.


Ingredients:
1/2 flour
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tbsp minced red onion or 1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp oil
2 tbsp water (optional) *
1 ripe medium banana
oil for frying

Directions:
In small bowl mix the first 8 ingredients.
Add banana and mix well.
Let sit for 10 minutes
In frying pan heat oil (about 1 inch of oil).
As oil is heating roll out dough in extra flour to approximately 1/4 inch thin and cut into 1 inch squares.
Drop each beignet into hot oil and fry until golden brown on both side.
Drain beignet from oil and let cool on paper towel.

* Cooks note:  I didn't use any extra water as I used frozen bananas and when I let them thaw there was lots of fluid.  If you use fresh ripe banana you will need water to moisten the dough.

Crazy Ingredient Challenge Recipe with banana and onions that gives you a little sweet and savory in each bite.


Check out all of the other bloggers recipes using bananas and onions.





Image and video hosting by TinyPic

3 comments :

  1. Great recipe Marlys. I thought this was one of our more challenging CIC events.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this savory and sweet beignet. A delicious side dish or even a dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great use of the bananas and onions! I eat plantains every day but still, ripe bananas plus onions stumped me.

    ReplyDelete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.